BIFL stands for: Buy It For Life.
It is opposed to “disposable” and refers to durable products that you only need to buy once in your life-time.
The BIFL has to do with owning something very durable, high-quality, rugged, repairable, upgradable, and multi-purpose. Preferably also immune to fashion trends changes.
Some advantages of owning BIFL products:
– Decreasing the number of products you own, reducing the clutter in your life.
– Increasing your ability to save money, not wasting it on disposable goods.
– Helping the environment by voting for sustainable products with your wallet.
– Rebelling against an abusive consumerist model
– The joy of owning a very high-quality product and experience its features.
Sometimes you might fall victim to this BIFL concept. Meaning you’ll be looking for the most durable and high-quality item, which is also expensive (in many cases).
Then, you need to know that not all BIFL products are insanely priced (i.e., JanSport backpacks are not that expensive).
You also need to ask yourself: “Do I need the top-notch, most durable item?” Or a cheaper one and lower quality would entirely satisfy my needs?
All in all, when you take into consideration the BIFL mindset, you step away from the “throwaway society” and break the consumerist circle of “Buy the product > Use the product > Wear it out > Repurchase the product, Repeat.”
Most of the time – YES, but not always.
For us to keep finding the best-rugged products on the planet, we earn money by gaining commissions from any purchases you make that are part of an established affiliate program (e.g Amazon). This comes at no additional cost for you. However, we will never forfeit the philosophy behind the site for the sake of a commission. This means we will NEVER recommend any product that doesn’t meet the Rugged Ratings’ standards, regardless of the possibility of a commission check.
A lot of the products featured on the site we do in fact own, or plan to own. But due to the sheer scope of the products we feature, we don’t own all of them.
This is where our research standards come in.
We make every effort to get a true sense of the quality of a certain product.
This means scouring forums, reviews, testimonials, and perhaps even Standard Assurances if the product is subject to them.
We realize that not everyone has come to the same conclusion as us with regards to product-purchasing behaviors.
There seems to be a certain type of person attracted to the RuggedRatings mindset, so if you are any of the following:
– Savings oriented
– Environmentally conscious
– Passionate about rugged, multi-purpose durable products, potentially enforced by military-grade standards and high safety standards.
– Anti-Consumerist. Anti-Clutter. Anti-Hoarding.
– Want to look good and like the feeling of owning a rugged product, high-quality materials
Don’t care too much about fashion, the latest trends, or the latest product model.
Then welcome aboard! We think you are going to like what you find.